[RTTY] [Amps] DIN stands for....?

noddie noddie at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 19:47:28 EST 2006

You have obviously never seen a S.C.A.R.T plug, another great European
invention for video, probably 100 times worse. They make soldering DIN plugs
shear pleasure :) http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/av/scart.html

Mike

Earlier today I was wiring up the 8-pin DIN plug for my new IC-756PRO
III which is in the mail. I have a copy of the manual so I thought
I'd get started on the accessory plug wiring.

My first thoughts came as I looked up the pin number layout. Whoever
laid out the numbering of the 8-pin DIN plug needs a long vacation in
a nice, restful place. The pin numbers are, clockwise from lower
left, 6-1-4-2-5-3-7 with number 8 in the center. Yes, the pins are in
a circle just like tubes are, but not in the usual 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. I
wonder if the first letter in DIN stands for dyslexia.

My next thoughts came as the plastic holding the pins in place
softened as I was soldering them. My pins wandered around and when
the plastic hardened again, they look like a game of pick-up-sticks.
I now realize that soldering the wires is a two step process: solder
the wire, then melt the pins back in place. I could never get them
back exactly right. I hope the DIN jack is sloppy enough that they
will fit anyway. I suspect it will be.

My next thought came as a dream. I dream that am appointed President
of ICOM. My first act is to locate the engineer who specified DIN
connectors on our otherwise fine radios. I call him into my office
and we have a chat. I ask why he spoiled a fine rig with DIN plugs.
He tells me and we have a good laugh. I ask if he has ever heard of
RCA plugs. He asks "How do you spell that?" and we have another good
laugh. His body is never found.

I then dream that I am made President of Germany, where the DIN plug
originated. Before long, maps of Europe no longer have any place
called "Germany" on them, only a large blank space. Mail to Germany
is returned undelivered, even email does not go through and web sites
are all 404. Psychologists everywhere notice that people's
frustration levels are dropping dramatically and assaults and murders
decline to practically nothing.

The world is now a much better place to live.

You're welcome.

73, Bill W6WRT