[RTTY] DIN stands for....?

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sat Feb 25 17:33:43 EST 2006

On Saturday, February 25, 2006 11:23 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Kok Chen <chen at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:38 AM, Marijan Miletic wrote:
>
>> Now only Kok Chen can save USA with his great humour :-)
>
> Am I the only one here who prefers the DIN connector to a rat's nest
> of RCA plugs?!
Yes, you are. But then, you also prefer the Mac over the PC. :-)

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind the DIN if they used some common sense in
numbering the pins like tube bases are numbered, and if they used a type of
plastic that won't melt with soldering. I'm sure there are some
manufacturers who use decent plastic - Radio Shack ain't one - and I will
try to find them.

I have heard the explanations of how the numbering system evolved from a
three-pin to a five-pin and so on, but that doesn't wash. You are never
going to insert a five pin plug into a three pin socket or vice versa, so
who cares about maintaining any kind of legacy pin location? Makes no sense
to me, but maybe somebody can explain it.

Hmmmmm... Upon further consideration, I can see where one *might* want to
plug a three-pin plug into a five-pin socket, maybe, but to my way of
thinking, that is asking for trouble. I wold never in a million years design
a piece of equipment with that possibility in mind. Connectors are made
different for a REASON, beleive it or not. A four-pin tube will not plug
into an eight-pin socket and that's on purpose, how it should be. Common
sense.

Keeping an open mind, sort of.

73, Bill W6WRT