[RTTY] Station upgrade

Tyler Stewart k3mm at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 14:27:49 EST 2006

What IF is the DSP filtering in?  Unless it's in the second, it's at a
severe disadvantage to a crystal filter in that stage.  I've yet to hear of
a ham radio that didn't benefit from crystal filters...either in the form of
a "roofing" filter, or more conventional IF filters.  There is a good reason
why TenTec touts their roofing filters in the $4k Orion even tho they have a
super-duper DSP system.

The MP DSP is really just an audio DSP, so it's of very limited value.
Unless you have a full bank of filters and a roofing filter from INRAD, it's
not a fair comparison.  I'd put one of my fully filtered MPs up against any
other radio, except maybe an Orion on RX.

On filters, I prefer the INRAD 400hz filters for RTTY.  250hz tends to
degrade reception just a bit due to the group delay characteristics and
ringing and leaves no room for those who call off frequency.  500hz is what
everybody else has and not really optimal for 170-200 hz shift.  400hz is
just a bit narrower and still wide enough for CW contesting.

Ty K3MM