[RTTY] K7RE ARRL RTTY RU

Brian Kassel k7re at arrl.net
Mon Jan 9 14:13:00 EST 2006

 ARRLRTTY Score Summary Sheet

      Start Date : 2006-01-07

   CallSign Used : K7RE
     Operator(s) : K7RE

            Band : ALL
           Power : LOW
            Mode : RTTY
Default Exchange : SD
      Gridsquare : DN84

            Name : Brian D. Kassel
         Address : 10559 West Highway 14
  City/State/Zip : Spearfish  SD  57783
         Country : USA

    ARRL Section : SD
       Club/Team :
         Software: N1MM Logger V5.12.2

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty
         3.5     167    167    7
           7     273    273    5
          14     375    375   41
          21     184    184   33
       Total     999    999   86

           Score : 85,914

Yea, I know 999!   I worked 23 hours 45 minutes.  I really gave it my
all and tried my level best in this one, and shot past my last year's
scores and goals for this year, so I am a happy camper.  Having 2
rotatable beams aimed in different directions sure helps when one is in
the middle of the country.  I also pressed into action my wire vee beams
and verticals. Instant switching on those antennas as well  really
helped me bring the best possible signals to each location in each
QSO.   Conditions were quite good for this point in the solar cycle.  15
was open somewhat both days, which really helped, but no EU stations
were heard on 15.  I was able to work only enough EU stations on 20  to
get some of the common mults on 20M Sunday morning.  Highlight was being
called by HI, AK and 2 South African stations.  Thanks folks.  I missed
DC, DE, WY MT and ND, and the rarer Provinces in Canada.  I stayed on
the lower bands longer than usual in hopes of snagging the close in
states that I needed, and VE4, but never got them all.  I am seriously
thinking of doing an all out effort from ND as a portable station for
several contests next season, especially CW SS and  ARRL RTTY RU.  The
very changeable and possibly WX is the main drawback up in western ND.
Tough to face below zero temps in a camper while having to erect
antennas, even if simple dipoles and wire antennas! Then again, this is
all supposed to be a challenge, right?