[RTTY] RTTY Best Practices

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Tue Jan 10 10:05:59 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

A.J.C. <n2ki at amsat.org> wrote:

> I still think that a carriage return both beginning and at the end is
> good for both operators in that you are now on a data free line.
> Operators should learn to expect a CR for data collection.  I believe
> most feel that it makes mousing more difficult, however if you track
> the forthcoming data with the mouse, usually you are no more than a
> character away. With practice it becomes easy very quick. Personally
> I prefer the carriage return. Comments, suggestions?

A CR at the end doesn't accomplish anything positive and has one detrimental
effect, IMO. When you are receiving, all you need is a space at the end of
what you have received so you can separate the data from the noise. A CR
does this too, but has the disadvantage of making the line jump just as you
go to click on it. Better to have the line hold still so you don't have to
chase it with the mouse. A CR at the START of the line is a must, however.

WriteLog is one program - there may be others - that does not do the line
jump with a CR, so this does not apply there.

Bill, W6WRT