[RTTY] NAQP RTTY on NCDXF Beacon]

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Jan 10 19:34:53 EST 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 4:08 PM, John Becker wrote:

> Now Joe, RTTY has *always* been lower sideband.
> At least the 35 years I have been running it.

You can generate a compatible RTTY signal using either USB or LSB (I
switch between them all the time).

All that is required to be compatible with other folks is that the
Mark is the higher of the two FSK "carriers" on the RF spectrum.

If you are using LSB, Mark is the lower AFSK tone (for example, mark
at 2125 Hz, space at 2295 Hz).  I.e., mark is closer to the
suppressed carrier than space on the RF spectrum if you use LSB.

If you are using USB, Mark is the higher AFSK tone (e.g., mark at
2295 Hz and space at 2125 Hz).

As long as you maintain that, with a separation between the two
carriers of 170 Hz, and a 22ms bit period, you can communicate with
other Amateurs.

73
Chen, W7AY