[RTTY] uh, what about spectrum? (was Re: ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments)

Jeff Stai WK6I wk6i at twistedoak.com
Sun Jan 15 14:53:30 EST 2006

At 11:40 AM 1/15/2006, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>How absurd!  If the average amateur cannot decode an interfering signal,
>how can he determine if the content is such that it NEEDS to be sent to
>the Commission for enforcement action (pornographic, commercial,
>intruder, etc.)?

What's absurd is that we are apparently losing 115KHz of spectrum that
we all regularly use for RTTY contacts on 40 and 80, including the
ability to ever again have a simplex contact with a JA on 80 - and
thus setting ourselves up for the absurd chaos of split operations
that makes 40 phone such a joy (assuming of course that the DX cares
to offer split).

Is anyone else planning to comment on the spectrum loss?

- jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai               jds at twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/
Rocketry Org. of CA     http://www.rocstock.org/
Amateur Radio           WK6I ~ Calaveras County, CA