[RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Mon Jan 16 14:01:38 EST 2006

Hello Bill,

The more I thought about it, I'm not so sure about the sidebands
being a problem when looking at the 200 Hz bandwidth limit.  You will
always have sidebands, it's a matter of how far down from the
fundamental, in this case two fundamentals 170Hz apart.  I've seen
bad RTTY signals that are 170 Hz shift producing noticeable sidebands
on the spectruim more than 200 Hz wide.  Yeah, they're probably AFSK
generated.

I'm planning on using the 200 Hz region unless the FCC dictates the
sideband values below a level unattainable by the average amateur
equipment should  the ARRL's wachy bandplan be adopted.

No, I haven't done the math as the last time was 45 years ago as an
undergrad.  Don't plan on drudging up old memory cells to do the math
as I've got to get the amplifier working better plus build another
for the second radio.

How's the amp. coming along, Bill?

At 06:59 AM 1/16/2006, Mike wrote:
>Hello Bill,
>
>Thanks for pointing it out.  That's why I put it as a question.
>
>At 12:00 AM 1/16/2006, Bill Turner wrote:

         73,
         Mike, K4GMH