[RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:04:22 EST 2006

On 1/16/06, Bill Turner <dezrat1242 at ispwest.com> wrote:

>  The point of the revised band plan is to reduce or eliminate cross-mode
> QRM. Maybe we should leave it that way.

No, it does not:

"The petition recommends what the ARRL calls 'a shift in regulatory
philosophy' to encourage and enable development and refinement of
digital techniques and advanced technologies."

It says *nothing* about protecting CW ... I mean "reduc[ing] or
eliminat[ing] cross-mode QRM".  Experimenting with narrower-shift
BAUDOT RTTY is **exactly** the type of thing that the ARRL proposal
says it wants to encourage.

Of course, the ARRL then contradicts itself in its own FAQ - see Q2 at
http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/bandwidth/bw-faq.html

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY/9 | plaws0 gmail | Travel by Train!

"They that can give up essential Liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin