[RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth proposal

GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 02:12:56 EST 2006

Dave wrote:
> While I like the "allocation by bandwidth" aspect of the ARRL's proposal,
> its removal of frequency constraints on semi-automatic operation will result
> in significantly more QRM.

A contribution for information only:

The concept of frequency planning by bandwidth didn't originate with
ARRL. The international lead has come from IARU Region 1 (Europe and
Africa) who are several years ahead on the project.

The Region 1 band plan is not mandatory, but it is adopted and
publicized by all national amateur radio societies in Region 1. Minor
local variations are allowed, but they should not affect other countries.

A recent version can be found at:
http://www.rsgb.org.uk/bandplans/bandplans.pdf
(This version contains some minor UK-specific variations, but it's more
up-to-date than the one on the official Region 1 site.)

This band plan is based on "allocation by bandwidth"  but it also
contains specific frequency restrictions on unattended digital operation.

There's the information. Now back to you in FCC-land...

73 from
Ian GM3SEK