[RTTY] - "Freely available software"

George Henry ka3hsw at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 12:01:58 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at  9:59 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Absolutely not the case ... the FCC can prohibit the use of any
> protocol and/or any modulation system for any reason.

And it would have ZERO impact, because all of the new protocols & software developed
OUTSIDE the US would be unaffected by the ban.

> Further, they have in the past prohibited the user of certain
> signaling systems ... IÂ’ve been licensed long enough to remember
> when the ONLY RTTY permitted was BAUDOT ... eight bit codes were
> not permitted.
>
> It is far better to prohibit modulation and coding that is of
> real value only to commercial interests who want to protect
> their revenue stream and the privacy of their semi-commercial
> users that allow the amateur service to become just another
> mobile service.

You are welcome to file a Petition for Rulemaking:  I guarantee you
it will be denied, and for the very reasons I have cited.  If the FCC alone passed such
a ban (and they won't), it wouldn't accomplish your goal of ensuring that only those protocols
for which free decoding software exists get on the air, and the ITU certainly isn't
going to do so either.

As someone else pointed out, this horse is dead.  Let's just agree to disagree, and stop beating it any further..........