[RTTY] Mono band amps

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Sun Jan 22 12:17:42 EST 2006

Wondering... For those who like to change bands a lot.

Rather than spend between five and ten thousand dollars for an
auto-tune amp like the 87a or similar, why not build separate amps
for each band and switch them? You wouldn't need auto-tune or even
manual tune since they would already be tuned. Also, SO2R would be a
natural since no additional amp would have to be purchased.

The Russian GS-35b is so inexpensive these days it seems to make
sense to me. One power supply could run them all (for single ops
where only one TX is allowed at one time) and just switch to the one
you need. Fan noise might be an issue if all five were left running,
so a pair of 3-500s or some other instant-on tube could be used
instead. That expensive bandswitch would be eliminated, although you
would need to switch the input and output coax, easily done with
inexpensive relays.

This might be a good business opportunity for an enterprising ham to
make and sell them.

Anyway, just an idle thought. It would seem to be much cheaper but I
don't recall this approach being discussed before.

Bill, W6WRT