[RTTY] AGC: on or off?

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Mon Jan 30 23:19:21 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 05:26 PM 1/30/2006, Peter Laws wrote:
>I keep seeing mention of AGC.  That's the one control on my IC-746Pro
>I admit to not knowing how to set.  I've read the Handbook section on
>AGC and the manual entry and, of course, fiddled with it ...  so?
>Where do I set it for RTTY?  SSB?  It's got a fast/med/slow setting
>for each mode and each preset is adjustable, including to "off".

The general rule is, for carrier-type modes such as RTTY and AM, have
it fast. For pulse type modes such as SSB and CW, slow.

With one exception: In a pileup with tons of signals at all different
levels, have it fast if your ears can stand it. You will have a
better chance of hearing the DX buried down deep.

73, Bill W6WRT