[RTTY] Antenna Question

Andrei Nevis v49a at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 22:39:13 EDT 2006

ONLY SPIDERBEAM
  FORGET ABOUT TRAPPED ANTENNAS
  I HAVE FOR LAST TWO YEARS SPIDERBEAM
  THIS IS LIGHT AND, FULL SIZE 3 ELE ON 20, 3 ELE ON 15 AND 4 ELE ON 10 METERS BEAM
  PIECE OF CAKE RUNNING 1.5 KW
  end of story
  ONLY SPIDERBEAM

Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net> wrote:

On Jul 1, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Professional Home Inspections wrote:

> If you had the choice, which antenna would you mount on a crank-up
> tower,
> about 60 feet to the antenna?
>
> A Hygain TH5-MK2
> A Cushcraft A4S
>
> And WHY ??

Practically speaking, there's not a whole lot of difference between
these two antennas. They are both trapped tribanders with similar
boom lengths 19 and 18.5 feet, respectively.

I would favor the A4S myself. A couple of reasons. First, I happen to
like Cushcraft antennas. The A4S has been installed by a large number
of hams, and it is a proven performer. While perhaps not as efficient
as some of the modern computer-optimized designs, it will hold its own.

The TH5-Mk2 isn't quite as popular. The Hy-gain probably has slightly
better mechanical construction, but is heavier. The extra driven
element probably doesn't buy much in the way of performance, but
contributes to extra weight and wind load.

I tend to like the lightweight element design of the Cushcraft. It
might not be so appropriate if you live in an area that gets frequent
icing. (Although my A3S survived an ice storm with about 1/2" of ice
on top of the elements)

It would be the A4S for me, choosing between these two. If you are
trying to pick the best tribander with a 19-foot boom, the Force-12
C19 series would probably outshine most.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
-- Wilbur Wright, 1901

BEST 73'S
ANDREI STCHISLENOK