[RTTY] So2r debate

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Thu Jul 20 13:05:32 EDT 2006

Yup Bill, I keep hearing the call for a "level playing field" too. I've been thinking about this for awhile now...

Here's some examples of "level playing fields" in competitive sports; hockey, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc... And here's some examples of "unlevel playing fields" in competitive sports; The Iditarod, downhill ski racing, aero acrobatics, Pike's Peak Hill Climb, radiosport, etc...

We don't hear a lot of whining about a level playing field from the competitors in the "unlevel playing field" categories now, do we?... oh... wait... except for the ham radio crowd! There's a constant S-7 noise level from that group.

So, here's my solution to squelch any unfair advantage of one WRTC team over another:

"The Ultimately Level Playing Field"  We need to find a ham-friendly farmer with thousands of acres of wheat fields in North Dakota and convince him to stage WRTC from his property. (Maybe a corporate farm, like ADM, might like to sponsor this for the publicity?) This would be a field day type setup. Each team, separated by a couple of KM, would get a 3 meter square shed, table and chairs, a bunk, a 5-kW genset, one 40 foot tower with yagi, wire for antennas, and one "port-a-potty," placed close-by but down-wind from the shed. Much of North Dakota is nice and flat... how flat is it?... well rumor has it that's where they ship all Stanley levels to be inspected and tested before shipping to their dealers... so this is your ultimate "level playing field" if you will... and it's also a desirable state for WAS chasers too. Oh, and don't forget, you can toss in the added 30 dB attenuation from the auroral blanket. Then the competitors will have the finest "level playing field" anyone has ever seen!

73 de Bob - K0RC

P.S. For the humor impaired, this is tongue-in-cheek, a look at leveling the playing field once and for all.

Message: 3