[RTTY] luggable rtty station - summary PRO-3 Sale

Andrei Nevis v49a at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 13:18:17 EDT 2006

Hi all and sorry for off topick:
  IC756 PRO 3 seems to be the Best.
  I have for Sale MINT PRO 3 16 months old, No issues.
  Also have CT-17 AND interface for TRUE FSK, designed for PRO3.
  Plug and Play, EZ.
  Everything works UFB. Prefer pick up, then you can check and enjoy before you take it.
  Please respond for details privately at:
  v49a at yahoo.com

  73's Andrei EW1AR-NP3D

Jeff Stai <jds at twistedoak.com> wrote:

hi - thanks very much to everyone for the many great responses!!!

The votes were overwhelmingly in favor of the IC756ProIII. The band scope (which I have never used) and the twin peak filter are especially intriguing. The need for 12V supply means I might still be hauling around the same mass, but at least in two parts with less desk space required. This is good.

Question: Is anyone using this rig with a switcher like the Astron SS-30 and does it work OK?

Another concern is the roofing filter on the ProIII, being 15KHz. That seems pretty wide. One of the best things I ever did was install the 4KHz InRad roofing filter in the 1000Ds. Splatter problems from noisy nearby stations (especially those dang robots) are simply a thing of the past. I am totally spoiled by this. The recommendations I have received from top stations are compelling, but I would sure like to understand how the ProIII does so well with that wide of a filter. If I look at lab comparisons the ProIII is only above average, but I understand there can be more to that picture.

Individual votes also for the TS-570DG and TS-850 and IC706 and IC746Pro, and a suggestion to look at the IC7000. I think there was some discussion away from the 746 here, which I tend to agree with. Also, I would shy away from the 706 because it is so small - I am not familiar with the rig but if things I want to do quickly are buried in a menu system maybe I don't want that. I would have a similar concern with the 7000 (along with the display size) until I know more about it (but the price is nice!)

I am completely unfamiliar with the Kenwoods, but will keep them in mind. I very much appreciate the recommendations. However, I am going to look into this whole band scope thing first. I have had a couple discussions about that lately and it seems worth looking into.

thanks again to everyone! - jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai jds at twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery http://www.twistedoak.com/
Winery Blog http://www.elbloggotorcido.com/
Rocketry Org. of CA http://www.rocstock.org/
LDRS 26 http://www.ldrs26.org/
Amateur Radio WK6I ~ Calaveras County, CA
See you in the California QSO Party! ~ Oct 7-8 2006 ~ http://www.cqp.org/

BEST 73'S
ANDREI STCHISLENOK
EW1AR-NP3D