[RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...

Dean Wood n6de at comcast.net
Fri Jul 21 03:22:50 EDT 2006

First, thanks to all of you for the QSOs in NAQP RTTY with us at W6YX
last weekend!

Regarding the SOxR debate, I have an idea:

In the NCJ CW Sprint results, N6TR publishes a table of Top Ten
One-Radio stations in addition to the overall Top 10 stations.  There
are no separate SO1R/SO2R categories in Sprint... he just tabulates the
overall winners and also who did well using one radio.  Take a look at:
http://www.ncjweb.com/cwsprint022006.pdf
There are many really good CW ops in that One Radio table.

How about we consider something similar for the NAQP RTTY results?

With all the interest recently about recognizing SO1R stations, I'm sure
a few people could step up to help Shelby if he wanted assistance
generating and verifying such a table.  Maybe someone could write a
script or program to query all the Cabrillo files Shelby receives, and
determine the number of band changes each participant had.  Look at the
top 50 scoring stations, observe the # of band changes, and generate a
best guess Top 10 One-Radio list based on a threshold of band changes.
Review the 3830 list archives and see who mentioned they were SO2R vs.
what the band change list showed.  If there is any doubt, e-mail the
participants in question, asking whether they were SO1R or SO2R.  The
number of band changes for the SO1R station will be much more than
Sprint due to the number of bands and multiplier structure in NAQP, but
would still pale in comparison to the band changes by top scoring SO2R
NAQP stations.

Shelby, how about it?  Who's in for giving Shelby a hand on this for the
July NAQP RTTY results?  I think we can take a very good guess at the
table now by just looking at the 3830 summaries by Michael Dinkelman.
The CW Sprint overall Top 10 participants don't seem to be offended by
the presence of a Top 10 One-Radio table, and the SO1R guys in the CW
Sprint don't seem to be upset about the lack of an SO2R category.  Shall
we try this for NAQP RTTY and take this thread in a positive direction
for everyone?

73...
-Dean - N6DE