[RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

Jim McDonald jim at n7us.net
Fri Jul 21 16:13:30 EDT 2006

"One transmitter" seems easy to measure, but a "moderate" antenna systems
doesn't.

ARRL doesn't allow antenna gain measurements in ads, so I don't know how
contesters are supposed to determine whether they comply with the rule or
not.  I understand the intent is to distinguish those with "typical"
antennas from those with multi-tower installations with more than one
antenna per band, but the proposal requires a subjective determination of
compliance.  Is having a SteppIR that can be reversed 180 degrees with a
flip of a switch OK but a tribander with more than three elements on 10 or
15 is not?

I'm an occasional contester and rarely send in logs.  I don't see the point
in my sitting in the chair the whole time to be at a 40% disadvantage.  I do
enjoying running stations for a few hours but to compete with those who have
"invested" in additional aluminum, steel, radios, maybe real estate, and,
yes, SO2R skill doesn't seem worth it.  I like simple, which for now will
remain one radio.

Jim N7US