[RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Jul 21 17:56:35 EDT 2006

W6WRT writes:

> But...  My proposal goes beyond just one radio vs two, or what kind of
> wires one puts up. I'm suggesting two classes: Limited and Unlimited.
>
> LIMITED CLASS:
>
> 1. One TX, one RX. When the TX is on, the RX must be off and vice
> versa. In other words, conventional transceiver operation.
>
> 2. No spotting of any kind, either help in the shack or internet,
> packet, etc, etc. Find 'em and work 'em the old fashioned way.
>
> 3. A "modest" antenna system. One antenna per band. 20/15/10 may have
> the gain-equivalent of a three element yagi and 160/80/40 the gain
> equivalent of a half wave dipole. All antennas may be rotatable.

This is totally unenforceable and counter productive ... it would
force any 160 meter operator with a second receiver (R4C?) or
separate receive antenna (K9AY array?) into the "unlimited" category.
Similarly, many stations with triband antennas (Force 12 C31XR,
4 element SteppIR, Bencher Skyhawk, Hy-Gain TH6/TH7/TH11) into the
"unlimited category.  Any user with an extra tribander fixed on
South America or West Coast would automatically be "unlimited."
A simple "shorty 40" would automatically be a "unlimited" as would
a 40 meter 4 square ...

Every one of those station improvements are relatively inexpensive
and provide a significant opportunity to improve one's scores.

Of course, I notice you did not limit antenna height to 50 feet or
limit a station to a single tower ...  and your "limited class"
fails to address the limitations of those who have HOA limits of
deed restrictions that prevent any outside antenna/tower.  If
you're serious about "limited class" why not a single multiband
vertical (e.g., flagpole) or an endfed wire with an automatic
(make that manual - automatic is too much of an advantage)
antenna tuner?

All of these limitations take the incentive and experimentation
right out of contesting.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV