[RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Jul 21 20:34:16 EDT 2006

W6WRT Write:

> A large percentage of HF operators who have been in it more than a
> year or two have three element tribanders, wires for the lower
> frequencies and just one radio. I think that's a good place to begin.

If you are going to create a limited class, make it the lowest common
denominator so that everyone has an equal chance.  Otherwise you are
picking winners and losers ...

I would suggest that many HF operators who are not in the "elite"
SO2R class also have second receivers, receive antennas, and second
antennas - whether they are a trap vertical or a low tribander - in
addition to their "main" antenna.  Antenna heights vary all over the
map from as low as 25' (the "roof tower" on a ranch style home) to
80 or 90 feet.  Tell a new contester with the 25' high C3 that he is
not disadvantaged compared to the guy with a stack of three element
monoband antennas at 70/80/90' (after all, both fit your "limited"
class).

You may not like the guys who can effectively handle SO2R but it
is still, at its most basic, a single operator station (one person
performs all operation).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV