[RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

Carter, K8VT k8vt at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 22 12:33:12 EDT 2006

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> What *is* the point is that,  by the admission of a top
>> contester, there is a clear advantage of SO2R (even though
>> we may debate whether it is 25% or 40% or ?? %).
>>

> That same top contester also says he started doing SO2R to overcome
> antenna disadvantages.
Which is a roundabout way of admitting that there *IS* an advantage for
SO2R.

>> Therefore, many of us are contending that there should be an SO1R
>> *and* an SO2R category. This is no different than having an LP/HP
>> class, a concept no one apparently has any trouble understanding.
>> Why is it so difficult to grasp the SO (1-2) R concept?????
>>

> Why keep cutting entry classes into smaller and smaller pools?
Well, the academic (if not practical) answer to that question is that
technology keeps changing.
>  If
> this is taken to it's most foolish extreme there would be as many
> classes as entrants ... why not simply print your own certificate?

Because as you say, it would be foolish and it would be extreme.

However, most of us seem to agree that there is an advantage to:

-single vs. multiple ops

-high power vs. low power

-SO1R vs. SO2R

...and  we seem to want to have separate categories for *some* of these
advantages and yet turn a blind eye towards other advantages. Which
brings us back to...

>> BTW, as an alternative, I still think Bill's idea of  "Basic" +
>> Unlimited classes is a great idea.
>>

> Sure, if you want "basic" and "unlimited" classes, make the basic
> class truly basic ...
So, it looks like we ultimately agree!  :-)

By having just these two classes, we make the problem of smaller and
smaller entry pools go away, we give the little guy a chance to compete
on a (more or less) equal footing with other little pistols and we may
even induce more people to get into (or return to) contesting!

73,
Carter K8VT