[RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 23 20:54:21 EDT 2006

Sorry "Mr. Turner" ... but I don't think this issue is quite the
"widely-perceived unfairness" that is being portrayed by you
and others. You have real numbers to back that statement?

So add the class ... but be ready for the same root problem to
remain. Ops who expect to win just by turning on the radio.

That's NOT competition, that's entitlement.

"I deserve to WIN because I can't/don't have <fill in the blank>".

So I want ANOTHER class ... just so I can "win".
That's the slippery path that may lead to ....

SO1R-Monobander
SO1R-Tribander
SO1R-4LQUAD
SO1R-3LQUAD
SO1R-2LQUAD
SO1R-811A
SO1R-8877
SO1R-MRF150
SO1R-Eico 753
SO1R-........................................

Even within SO1R ... there's a world of difference between
say that Eico 753 and a IC7800. Now what can you do ...

Where can you draw the next line with the current logic? You can't.

This is not equalizing competition, that's eliminating it!

Want another idea? Fine ... what about adopting how the IARU
contest works ... make 250 Qs ... get a certificate, work 50
different MULTS ... get a sticker for your certificate... seems like
that is more of a win-win for ANY op who bothers to make an
effort and does not portray some ops as being "bad" as a SO2R.

Shelby, you see all the logs ... if 250 Qs is too high, pick out a QSO
level that seem to be fair across the board, and there you have it.

Someone might just stay in the chair for another 30 minutes, or check
another band for activity to have enough Qs "to win a participation award".

WOW, that might also serve to INCREASE participation in contests!

Rather than create the ill will from a small handful of unhappy campers
who start this thread up over and over again, year after year.

Slow down and read what the others who use SO2R are saying, it's not
quite the secret weapon that some <who have never used it> seem to
want everyone to believe. Note when they mention "operator skills".

73 de Billy AA4NU ... who is still looking for that "guaranteed 40%
increase" ...