[RTTY] Joe's open letter to Shelby, K4WW

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jul 24 00:40:02 EDT 2006

Tom,

> Joe, you're essentially saying: People who run in a separate
> HIGH POWER category are also contributing to:

The high power and multi-operator categories have existed since
the beginning of contesting.  In both cases, particularly the
multi-operator case, they represent significant fundamental
departures from single operator, low power.  In the case of
SOmR there is no basic difference from a So1R station of the
same power level - all operation is conducted by one operator
with no outside assistance and only one transmitted signal at
a time.

The only difference is the speed at which the SomR operator can
change bands.  YT1NT's hardware for PT5L showed that even a one
transmitter station can operate alternately on two bands with
zero lag.  How does one handle the new generation to transceivers
where the second receiver is fully independent and the transmitter
can be switched instantaneously?  It has only one transmitter -
is must be "one radio" by any objective definition.

> I would refute this with: If you don't let the majority compete
> within their ranks, they will become bored and eventually drop
> out (actually we're seeing this now) and I thus question its
> long term survivability"

The majority is competing within their ranks now ... they just
aren't getting the results to which they feel they are entitled.

I question how many are getting bored and dropping out vs. how many
end up moving (for career or family reasons) into areas where they
are antenna limited and simply decide there is no use trying since
they are "stuck" in the one transceiver, single element antenna
world.

> I say, yet again: When all else is equal in any given station,
> the move to SO2R results in a significant increase in scores
> proven by reported scores and testified too by top ranked SO2R
> ops.

That is not true ... every SO2R operator and many SO1R operators
who have tried SO2R will tell you that SO2R does not automatically
result in significant score increases any more than a new rig
will automatically result in an increase in score.  Using SO2R
effectively requires developing an added skill set.

Yes, used effectively SO2R will result in a significant increase
in score.  However, used effectively (properly) moving from a
single element antenna to a low tribander will result in a
significant increase in score ... moving from a low tribander
to a stack of tribanders will result in a significant increase
in score ... moving from a stack of tribanders to monoband
stacks and separate towers will result in a significant increase
in score.  Still, you can't take an operator who has used an
end fed wire all his life and set him down in front of a radio
with 4/4/4 stacks on every band and expect him to generate the
same score as someone who has used big antennas for several years.

> No doubt its a big part but to answer that issue,  I refer
> you to Don's comment where he said, that with his relatively
> small ant capability, he went to SO2R to attempt to beat the
> SO1R big guns, which he did and does routinely. It didn't mean
> he was a better or more expert operator than the big gun  but
> rather that he found and implimented a way to increase the number
> of QSO's and multipliers - a "significant advantage" over his
> previous SO1R capability.

What Don did was optimize the use of the resources available to
him.  He made up for what he lacked in antenna system by being
more nimble, by being able to find the multipliers and by being
able to get to the stations before someone else. Why would you
diminish his accomplishments?

> He clearly said he could not have accomplished that running SO1R
> either low power or high power. Do you dispute his findings?

Don is probably right that he could not have accomplished what
he has accomplished if he was restricted to SO1R with his antenna
limitations.  However, there are SO1R operators with big antenna
farms who are capable of running up the kind of QSO and multiplier
totals that Don does.  SO2R does not make Don unbeatable but it
does allow him to compensate for his antenna limitations.

Give Don a big antenna farm and he would extend his scores another
10 to 15%.  If a SO1R operator with a big antenna farm were to
master SO2R he would probably add another 10 to 15% to his score.
Once mastered, each new technique/skill/tool adds incrementally
to the overall performance.  You have probably improved your own
performance a little bit with every contest ... some of that is
from practice, some from better hardware or software, some from
antenna improvements, etc.

Single operator contesting is a continuum ... at one end you find
the rookies with single element antennas and an IC-706 - at the
other end you find the veteran operator with years of experience,
the big antenna farm, two or three top of the line rigs and probably
SO2R.  In between that you find all levels and combinations of
equipment, antennas and experience.

> Nobody is trying to stifle or exile anyone. No matter how
> good the drivers and tracks are, you don't race 90 hp cars
> against 120 hp cars and ever expect to win or even place
> unless you have a significant advantage like a jet booster.

SO2R vs. SO1R is not 90 hp cars against 120 hp cars ... that
comparison might hold for high power vs. low power but with
SO2R you still have the same transmitter power output and the
same one signal at a time limitation.

> Joe, I really believe that you and others against this
> separate category thing really believe in your position. I
> just think you haven't found the right words to make your
> position creditable or justifyable.

Tom, you and others who want a separate category simply do not
accept that SOmR is just one tool.  You cannot in all fairness
say that Don can't be allowed to arm himself with SO2R in a contest
against those armed with big antennas.  If you want to draw the
line at hand-to-hand (unarmed, no tools) combat, I'm all for it
... that's exactly what a "one rig, single element antenna"
category is all about.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV