[RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

ws7i ws7i at ewarg.org
Mon Jul 24 10:27:37 EDT 2006

Now here is a guy who understands contesting.  Guess I'll have to make a run to Lousinana again.  Best food and drinking at a M/M I have ever had.

Hay Don, Ron, Wayne, you guys ready for some vittles and refreshement?

ws7i at ewarg.org

From: jakers at ece.msstate.edu
Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:12:59 -0500

Hy guys,

I guess I don't even belong in this thread (it matters not to me whether there
is a SO1R or a SO2R category) but here goes. Let me tell you how this goes down
at my QTH.  I only enter one contest a year but many of you will recognize my
call anyway. I operate multi-op low power with KB4HB and WA4DDE being my
partners.  Both of them now live in W6 land and can only come home for the ARRL
contest in Jan.  We strongly believe in several things.  Its a contest but have
a good time. It's a hobby. Follow the rules to the letter!!  And by-the-way
have a good time.

We usually get together on Thursday night before the contest with some KFC
(gizzards) and a large bottle of fine bourbon. Then on Friday night, after
finishing any antenna work, some more bourbon with some BBQ ribs (they do come
all the way from W6 land).  Then on Saturday we finish the fine tunning and get
to work.  Finally, we end up on Sunday with as close to 24 hrs as possible.  I
end my part a little early and let the others finish the contest while I grill
the steaks. We finish the bourbon and have some mighty fine wine with the
steaks.  At last, we come to the finish with some rare port and an after action
discussion.  Come Monday morning every one that should be is on the plane back
to W6 land with some great memories of another fabulous weekend.

Now, in the mean time, I should say there is a "bit" of stratigizing going on
and reviewing of last year's results and current propagation forecasts. We do
communicate via email on ideas that arise during the year. Call it simplistic
and naive if you wish..but no one has a better time than we do. I invite you to
check out our standing in the ARRL contest over the years. It works for us.

My station is nothing to write home about.  We run low power (TS-850s to an
AL-1200) and keep a Bird meter in the line to make sure.  We use no external
aids or another receiver nor do we listen on the other bands in between. We
switch bands when we feel the time to do so has come. The antenna "farm" is a
tribander, a 40 meter and a 80 meter dipole.  What we do have to our advantage
is that we view this weekend as a competitive but FUN weekend.

FYI:WA4DDE is my son and KB4HB is one of my ex-students at Miss State Univ so
many years ago we neither would like to tell you when!!

It's a hobby guys relax and have some fun...Jim...W5VZF...Starkville, MS...where
we DO ribs.

Quoting "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt at ameritech.net