[RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jul 24 17:30:13 EDT 2006

Phil writes,

> Thus, perhaps we might look at SOxR always being classed as a
> significant advantage (eg. always in the same class as high
> power). Then set a power limit (with RTTY it isn't as much a
> factor) for SO1R at 150watts.
>
> Viola! A solution... move all SOxR operations to the same class
> as higher RF power and limit SO1R to a max of 150w RF.. See SOxR
> would then compete with all high power stations.
>
> Any thoughts? Have I got a workable solution?

That works only if you are also willing to include ANTENNAS as a
"significant advantage."  As I have said over and over, if you
want a "fair" category, make it one transceiver and single element
antennas (verticals or dipoles/inverted Vs no higher than 35 feet).

As soon as you allow gain antennas but exclude SOxR, you begin to
discriminate based on "good" tools or "bad" tools - where "good"
and "bad" are defined based on "what I have" and "what you have."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV