[RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

Tom Moore wx4tm at tm-moore.com
Mon Jul 24 22:07:13 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv at subich.com>
To: "'Tom Moore'" <wx4tm at tm-moore.com>; "'Barry'" <w2up at mindspring.com>;
"'RTTY List'" <rtty at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 8:50 PM
Subject: RE: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

> Tom, given big antennas most ops will significantly improve their
> scores.  Contest scores show that EVERY time.

EVERY time?  Not quite. I can show you where wire antennas outperform beam
antennas in the central southern part of the country in the ARRL roundup.
Not once but several times.  Good high beams are low angle long distance
antennas. A lower beam with the same gain, and higher angle of radition
would be better.. In this case a long wire ant, properly loaded and matched
with resultant lobes was able to maintain a higher QSO rate than a
co-located 20M mono bander and nothing was wrong with the mono bander.

Wire antennas near salt water have also been known to beat beam antennas
quite significantly.  Use of antennas depend on location and desired QSO
location(s). They're great for DX but can be beat in contest like the RTTYRU
and NAQP. Thats the reason contest sponsors who know antenna theory and
practice never considered the beam antenna as an issue.

73, Tom