[RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jul 24 23:32:55 EDT 2006

> If it makes no sense to categorize by antennas and radios then why
> distinguish between  power levels? Radios, antennas, amplifiers -
> they're all just tools, no?

I don't know that power levels are particularly defensible either
but they have been  a "fact of life" for at least 40 years.  I'm
not willing to accept a change in the status quo for either SOxR
or power levels unless the advocates for change are willing to
accept the "basic" category (single transceiver and single element
antennas) and leave all "hardware" up to the discretion of the
operator (within legal limits) for the "unlimited" category.

> I will say that all this discussion has helped me see and appreciate
> (somewhat) the argument for keeping single ops in the same class,
> regardless of how many radios or what kinds of antennas they use. The
> point is well-made: They're just tools. But I can't resolve the
> high/low power issue - there's that consistency thing; it just doesn't
> fit. An amplifier is a tool just like an antenna, and there isn't any
> appreciable skill involved in using either one. So if we're not going
> to distinguish between how many radios you can use then I think we
> should abolish the power classes as well.

We're essentially saying the same thing ... it's just that I'm willing
to accept the status quo.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV