[RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Jul 25 00:56:38 EDT 2006

Bill,

> That was just a suggestion to get the discussion started. The key
> element was an antenna limitation of some kind, with discussion to
> follow. I suggested the three element yagi because I think that's what
> a lot of hams have and it would attract the most new participants. If
> folks want something else, I'm all ears.

Then perhaps we're closer than it appears ...

I'm favor the one transceiver/single element category - not because
that's my current antenna situation - but because it provides an
opportunity for new participants and the many former contesters who
have retired to "adult communities" with antenna restrictions.  The
one transceiver/single element antenna category is the perfect place
to have a little fun for a few hours and make 100 or so QSOs without
taking a beating from either the SO2R or the big antenna crowd.

Those who want to become more serious can and should be able to select
from the entire menu available tools to enhance their competitive
standing.

For me, I will not participate in any contest that discriminates
against SOxR and I will not support the sponsor of that contest.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV