[RTTY] The other guy's TX is reversed

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 27 00:04:54 EDT 2006

> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:55:41 -0500
> From: John Becker <w0jab at big-river.net>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] The other guy's TX is reversed
> To: Barry <w2up at mindspring.com>, RTTY List <rtty at contesting.com>
>
> I have been on RTTY going on 35 years now.
> I mean how hard can it be. I don't recall seeing so many
> up side down before computers and software. I still use
> a 28 machine and an Hal ST-6 with a Kenwood TS-520.
>
> You put the rig on LSB and have at it. I really don't understand
> " There is no standard polarity between radio mfrs. "

I use FSK, and clicked the reverse button and worked him on the 4th or 5th
call.  Had the transmit been upside down, I would have simply changed the
menu setting in the radio to transmit reverse.

The polarity issue is the matter of keying the rig using FSK.  My Pro3 is
correct, ie: the menu setting for fsk keying is normal.  My Kenwood 850 was
reversed.  I had to actually change a menu setting from default to be able
to send correctly with my transistor/resistor/comm port keying circuit.  And
BTW, reversing the wiring on the board did NOT reverse the way it keyed.
Its wired correctly as per Icom, but operates backwards according to
Kenwood.

Charlie
KI5XP