[RTTY] FT990 CAT problem

Tom Moore wx4tm at tm-moore.com
Sat Jul 29 14:47:05 EDT 2006

There was some earlier discussion/questions by me and others about CAT
problems with the FT990.

My wife's radio is an FT990 rv1.3 using a West Mountain Radio RigBlaster Pro
and Logger32

The problem was that the L32 software could talk to the radio (i,e change
freq etc) but L32 was not receiving anything from the radio (i.e,
frequency/mode display).

After trying all kinds of various settings and jumpers in the Rigblaster,
talking to Yaesu and West Mtn, looking at various web sites and attempting
various settings in L32, I finally received the following:
Tom,

Issue looks like lack of data load on transceiver data output line. FT-990
has a source driver data output which MUST be loaded for proper operation.

Try this:

- Open DIN6 CAT plug
- Pick a 1.5K ohm resistor and solder it between pin 1 (GND) and pin 2
(SERIAL OUT)

GL
73 Jozef OM7ZZ

Unfortunately, I could not find a 1.5K ohm resistor in my junk box but I did
find a 1.0K ohm resistor and hooked it up as suggested by Josef. IT WORKS!
I have not tried it yet with Writelog.  Your mileage may vary or any other
software.

Many thanks to Jozef and all the others who tried to help.

73  Tom WX4TM