[RTTY] AL-80B on RTTY

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Fri Jun 2 11:09:30 EDT 2006

I have its cousin, the SB-1000 which I have used extensively for RTTY contests.

Some observations:

1. You can run it at 1kW out for brief periods, such as chasing DX,
but not for prolonged periods. The weak point in the design is the
power transformer, which will soon overheat. The smell of an
overheated transformer is unmistakable. :-)
2. By trial and error, I found it will sustain 600 watts out during
prolonged contesting.
3. I am very conservative in these kinds of things. When I say 600
watts, I don't mean 700.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W6WRT