[RTTY] GU0SUP ANARTS - SOABLP

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Jun 12 13:37:22 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Wow, what happened? I even checked the antenna connections, and then
wondered if I had the right antenna selected.
There was almost no propagation to W/VE or South America, and I had to
struggle to try and work PS7KC for that final continent. Even Oceania was
easier!

I had permission to work as much as I liked over the two days, so decided to
get a good sleep on Friday evening, and then start good and early on
Saturday morning. The problem was that Friday night was THE hottest night of
the year so far, with an overnight minimum of 20C, so I had a lousy sleep. I
also woke up with a bad sinus headache, which didn't help.
I got to the shack late (around 0700UTC), and the forgot to set my zone in
the setup, so spent a while working out why I was getting points, and there
weren't many audible stations around, so I almost went back to bed.
Despite promises of the time being my own, I got dragged away to help with
the shopping, and as I am off to Friedrichshafen next week, I thought it
best not to argue the point!
Got back to find the bands in very poor shape, but stuck with it until I
finally succumbed to the headache, and had to stop. I got to the point where
I couldn't concentrate, and couldn't see clearly, but I had 200 in the log.
Got up later than planned on Sunday morning at 0500, and it was 21C outside,
and hotter still in the shack, and I began to wonder if I had connected the
dummy load! There were very few stations about, although I did get ZL2AMI on
40m.

The day was spent CQ'ing for periods, with a really poor rate, and then
doing a bit of S&P.

Still, despite the lousy conditions, I was pleased to work FK8HN on 20m for
a new band-slot.
Other nice ones to work were 9M6, 9V, BV, BY, ZL, and VR2XLN calling me on
20m. It was also odd to work so many close EU stations on 20m. I can't
normally hear any G's, F/ON/PA etc on 20m, but I logged quite a few this
time.
Also odd was to work mor eon 10m than I did on 15m.

Anyway, here is what I managed:
 	 QSOs	Points	DX:	Call Areas
80m: 	2	4	2	0
40m:	59	227	23	0
20m:	249	1535	49	12
15m:	43	117	18	0
10m:	59	180	19	0
Total:	412	2063
Continents:		6
Total multipliers:	123
VK bonus points:	0
Score:			1522494

Thanks to all for the points, especially Andrei NP3D/W2 who kept asking for
repeats. It was only AFTER our contact that I realised I was on my inverted
L, without ANY tuner set, and an SWR of about 3:1 !!

My log is now on LoTW, but cards are welcomed.

73 de Phil GU0SUP