[RTTY] 160 meter RTTY contest

Joe Subich, W4TV W4TV at subich.com
Wed Mar 1 14:03:31 EST 2006

> From: K4SB
>
> I still cannot realize why we would use 1805 for RTTY. That is a prime
> CW frequency for DXing.
>
> Maybe someone will explain why we can't go higher in the band to the
> usual RTTY frequencies? RTTY operation in the low part is going to
> cause us nothing but trouble.

Because 1810-1840 is heavily utilized for CW and CW DX activities.
It has been a long and difficult time - not completely successful
- getting all the pig farmers and good old boys to stay above 1843
(carrier).  It would be a slap in the face to the long-time users
of 160 who have worked hard for more than 15 years to open up 1820
to 1840 for CW operation and weak signal CW DX for a bunch of 'new
mode' fans to squat in that spectrum.

1815/1820 to 1840 was chosen specifically because many parts of the
world cannot operate below 1810 ... and DX operation has spread up
as the US guys have been able to "clean up" the area between 1830
and 1840.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV