[RTTY] 160 meter RTTY contest

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 04:51:22 EST 2006

> Because 1810-1840 is heavily utilized for CW and CW DX activities.
> It has been a long and difficult time - not completely successful
> - getting all the pig farmers and good old boys to stay above 1843
> (carrier).  It would be a slap in the face to the long-time users
> of 160 who have worked hard for more than 15 years to open up 1820
> to 1840 for CW operation and weak signal CW DX for a bunch of 'new
> mode' fans to squat in that spectrum.

Yes, but 1838 to 1842 IS the allocation for digital modes in IARU 1.
This discrepancy in bandplans is just plain silly, I can't imagine what
they were thinking of.

CWers your side are just going to have to get used to loosing the top
2khz of the allocation (big deal!) to digital traffic.  The major
problem I've found is being sat upon by very loud ssbers in the bottom
2k of theirs.  A major irritation for us in the UK is that the power
limit above 1850 reduces to 30 watts.

Operating split isn't a tremendous option, I certainly won't be
participating with my TS830.

I know this is a RTTY list but I'd also be really keen to try PSK too,
although wether any of you US folks are going to hear my 100W on either
mode remains to be seen......

73
Andy
gm8oeg