[RTTY] Suburban Lot 160 Meter Antenna

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Thu Mar 2 12:54:50 EST 2006

> A lot of good, active RTTY ops have the opinion they
> can't use 160 on their suburban lot and we need to show
> them otherwise.

So, I'd be interested in operating on 160M, but I have a lot that's just
140'long and 40' wide and the house covers almost all of the front half
of the lot, although I've got antenna supports at each end.  I've
currently got a 80M dipole up, and there's only room for one wire the
length of the lot, so whatever I put up has to cover both bands.

My thought is have the 135' length as one leg, and a vertical wire
that is about the same length, but goes down, then up and down again
for the other leg.  The shack is in the front of the house, and the
front antenna support (a 50' tall and growing, redwood tree) is in the
front yard.

The question is mostly, how do I determine the optimum length of wire
for the vertical part?  I'd feed it with open wire feeders and a tuner
of some sort.

73, doug