[RTTY] ARRL 160 Band Plan

Thomas Giella KN4LF flcyclone at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 2 18:16:56 EST 2006

I don't want to fall into the 160 meter band plan issue "you said I said"
hissing war trap but as you cc:'ed the RTTY e-list instead of emailing me
directly only, I will respond to you one time on this e-list and then will
no longer post anything on this subject on this e-list or any other e-list
for that matter.

Joe you are part of the very small group of 1 x 2 callsign hams with
gigantic runaway egos that insist that they are omniscient by virtue of
their license class, ARRL DXCC entity totals and electrical engineering
backgrounds, anal retentives! A small group that has repeatedly attempted to
create their own private playground gated community on 160 meters but
fortunately have failed in every attempt.

I led the charge against your RM-10325 which sought to turn 160 meters into
a private CW only playground  and gated community and defeated it and I led
the charge that halted at least for now the QSY of W1AW CW broadcasts from
1817.500 kc to 1807.500 kc. I will always actively oppose all selfish acts
that your small group attempts to perpetuate on the rest of we 160 meter
operators. It's all about right and wrong, I'm right and you are wrong and
you can't handle a well articulated opposing viewpoint.

As far as the digital modes between 1800-1810 kc, I advised Mr. Sumner, K1ZZ
today of the following:

.....There is quite a bit of PSK31/63, MFSK16 and OLIVIA MFSK activity
between 1800-1810 kc, some RTTY too. We appear invisible to the casual
listener due to the low output powers being used. Using DSP based software
such as MixW we are able to copy one another up to 18 db below the noise
floor. That gives the appearance of no activity between 1800-1810 kc.

If I may be allowed to suggest there is allot of room for the W1AW
broadcasts above 1900 kc. There is some SSB and AM between 1900-2000 kc but
that frequency range is pretty empty. I'm a newcomer to the digital modes (4
years) and attempted to get digital operations moved above 1900 kc but
failed.....

Joe you don't want digital operations between 1800-1810 kc so naturally you
want the ARRL's W1AW operations to QSY down on top of us. Because of your
selfishness and personal bias you are unqualified to comment on the issue.
And by the way feel free to cc: W4ZV the Topband e-list owner of my opinions
if you would like as I'm not on that e-list.

As far as digital modes operation around 1838 kc +/-, there is activity
there every night between the U.S. and Europe/Africa. You just can't hear it
99% of the time because it's weak. Also digital modes operation around 1838
kc +/- is in agreement with the ITU region 2 band plan. Unfortunately though
the ARRL band plan counteracts the ITU  band plan.

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
Grid Square EL97AW
kn4lf at arrl.net