[RTTY] You never know...

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Mon Mar 6 01:23:37 EST 2006

A bit off topic, but not too much I hope.

I was listening on 1805 tonight for RTTY stations when I saw a signal
on the spectrum scope a few kHz up. Looked like CW so I tuned up to
1808 and it was WA6CDR calling CQ from his mobile. I just had to give
him a call to say hi. He was near Needles, CA, about 100 miles east
of me and just booming in. I loaded my WinKey program and we chatted
for about 20 minutes or so while he motored down I-10. He was running
an Elecraft K2 and a Hustler antenna modified for 160 with a capacity hat.

I have never heard a mobile on 160, never mind CW. It was a QSO I
won't soon forget, probably once in a lifetime.

Just had to share. Back to RTTY.

73, Bill W6WRT