[RTTY] RE@ The log checking story by Paolo I2UIY

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Mar 8 14:02:46 EST 2006

Hi all,

I read the text from Paolo with amazement! I am surprised at just how
tolerant he was, especially with those 151 logs that were in totally the
wrong format.

Personally, I would have returned them, and suggested they re-submit the log
in the correct format, or it would not count. Well done to you Paolo for
chasing these people.
It does raise the question of whether it is wise to help some people so
much. If you help them to such an extent, perhaps they are going to learn
how to produce a correctly formatted log?

As for the screwed up calls, well, we all make mistakes in our haste at the
keyboard, but surely these are the type of things you DO correct at the end
of the log?
I try to correct them as I go, but if the run is high enough, I just note
the contact and sort it later on.
If you know you logged 9M2/G300K (zero zero Kilo), and you edit it
afterwards, I don't see that as a problem.
If you logged K4WW, but later find an email from Shelby stating he wasn't in
the contest, changing it to K3WW isn't OK.

I wonder how many logs were received that were named MYCALL.LOG? I seem to
remember a comment from the ANARTS manager a few years ago, that mentioned
how many he had received with that name!
I also remember Eddie W6/G-something-or-other telling me during his stay in
GU about some of the logs he had checked in the past.

The Cabrillo format is both a blessing, and a nuisance. It is great in that
you just click a key and hey presto, there is your log, all ready to go.
Great, but many clearly aren't checked.
There is also the problem that there are so many different formats for
Cabrillo, and whilst I understand that this is to account for the different
exchanges, there are clearly different interpretations by different
softwares of the SAME layout.

It would be good to have some comparisons from other contest managers, as
this may highlight specific problems.

All in all, a very helpful piece Paolo, and thankyou for taking the time to
compile it, and to share it with us.

Very best 73

Phil GU0SUP