[RTTY] RTTY on 160 Meters

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Mar 15 22:57:02 EST 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> Very true and that's a shame. 160 is a great band for up to a few
> hundred miles easily and more with some power and big antennas.

Problem with RTTY operation on 160m has to do with multi-path
propagation causing inter-symbol interference. It's the same reason
why 300 baud packet works on 20m, but not on 80m.

Reducing the symbol rate decreases the inter-symbol interference.
This is why 31 baud PSK has less trouble than 45 baud RTTY.

Of course, now that we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, 160m
RTTY may be practical at 45 baud, since the less intense ionization
of the ionosphere would reduce the multi-path propagation.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901