[RTTY] computer/soundcard recommendations

ve7cus at mac.com ve7cus at mac.com
Sat May 20 18:15:56 EDT 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 4:55 PM, George Henry wrote:
Even an old Celeron is probably more than adequate for most ham apps...
you'd get the most mileage for your dollar by ditching ME:  that
abomination
never should have been released, and you should RUN, not walk, to your
nearest software vendor and upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP.  Even rolling
back to 98SE would be a step up...................  and don't forget
that
more RAM is the cheapest performance improvement under ANY OS!

George, KA3HSW

I suggest you keep the computer and ditch the windows altogether and
run Linux (I use Ubuntu Dapper Drake on an old Compaq). There are
several good digital ( I use gMFSK) and logging programs (haven't
settled on one yet) and rig control using hamlib. Rein, Pa0R, is in
the process of rewriting Xtlf logging program which is a little more
than plug and play. I usually use Mac os x and Chen's excellent
cocoamodem but I got this old PC box so I thought I would give Linux
a go and I am very surprised how ungeeky you can be and still enjoy
the os on an old machine with limited HD and RAM.

Darrel, VE7CUS