[RTTY] Yaesu FT-1000 MP Mk 5 power "drift"

Dr David L Kepkay dlkepkay at dccnet.com
Mon May 22 22:45:38 EDT 2006

I am using a pair of Mark 5 Fields to an Acom 2000A system in all modes.
During the last RTTY contest I played at, I used the Fields at 40w drive and
that produced about 1000w out.  However there were  2-3 occasions when the
amp went into fault mode because of "overdrive" and indeed the 40w had
increased to about 60-75w which meant there was well over 2000w out...no
wonder the amp faulted!

Since that time I have been trying to understand the events better. I have
found that both of the Fields react identically:

If I set the RTTY output at, say, 50w using the digital, Array Powermaster
and transmit....in about 3-4 minutes the output will increase to about 70w
and plateau there. If I stop transmitting the power out may continue to rise
say 5w . If I leave the rig for 15-30 min and then transmit, the initial
value might have fallen back to 50w more or less.

If I transmit again, keeping the output to 25w over the next few minutes,
and then leave the rig alone once more, the output will have fallen to say,
4-5w!

This does not happen with CW key down,,,

The fans seem to be working fine and the heat sinks are just a bit warm to
the touch...say, in the 80's deg F.

I wonder if these observations suggest that the heat build up during
transmission is causing the power transistors  to have a greater output than
normal? I have never heard of such a phenomena ...but of course, this is not
my main field of endeavor. Has anyone ever seen this happen when using RTTY
mode? Could it hve happened to others but remained obscure because we had no
such digital precision in output meters?

Will my only option be to "warm it up" first to reach plateau output and
then set drive where I want it....seems unusual....hhmmmm

73 de David MD VE7KET