[RTTY] CR (returns)

FireBrick w9ol at billnjudy.com
Mon Nov 13 19:50:41 EST 2006

Let me give a different take on Leading/Ending CR's.

>From a little pistol, weak antennas, and ultra slow brain synapse point of view.

Please, Please
put a CR at the beginning of a buffer.

Noise will still effect the print, but at least I can make a better guess about whether
you got my call correct.

Having the buffer start on a clean line with:
<CR>
W9ML TU 599 02 K
<CR>

Ok, my brain tells me...'he got it correct'
(for some reason, my local noise or weak signal makes that error a lot, the OH is decoded
as a M)
and even if I miss the 'K', the <CR> clues me that he turned it back to me.

For us 'bodaciounally challenged signal types' getting the incoming exchange requires both
seeing the print, and trying to interpret it'
for us Urban Noise Dwellers, copying is frequently far more difficult than being heard.
But last contest I worked, I did see this:

<CR>
<CR>
sp sp sp sp W9OK TU 599 02 <CR>
sp sp sp sp HOW COPY? <CR>
DE "callsign"
<CR>

I'd call this 'overkill'.

Still have my firefighting turnout gear....flame away!