[RTTY] 80M RTTY

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Oct 13 01:16:28 EDT 2006

Doug,

> Err, my reading of the report and order is that it doesn't
> actually say that data modes have moved down.  It just says
> that 'phone has been expanded.  That overlap may get "clarified"
> out of existence, but....

The changes to S97.301 (page 39 and 40 of the Report and Order)
define "80 meters" as 3.50 - 3.60 MHz and "75 meters" 3.60 - 4.0.
(with some holes for non-Extra class licensees).

Section 97.305 of the rules list RTTY, data as permissible modes
on "80 meters" and Phone, image as permissible modes on "75 meters".
This is the same language that has always prevented RTTY operation
in the "phone bands."

Again, the FCC has screwed digital operators out of 50% of the
previous allocations on 80 and 40 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV