[RTTY] RTTY Screwed by FCC?

Doug Hall k4dsp.doug at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 16:19:27 EDT 2006

Bill,
RTTY isn't a digital mode?  Why are you dragging the start and stop bits
into it? The fact that digital information is sent asynchronously has
nothing to do with it. The 5 bit code patterns sent over a RTTY modem
represent numbers. Note part 97's reference to "digital codes" below:

Part 97 : Sec. 97.309 RTTY and data emission codes
------------------------------
 (a) Where authorized by Secs.
97.305(c)<http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=137>and97.307(f)<http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=139>of
the part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission
using
the following specified digital codes:

(1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2, code
defined in International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee
Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as Baudot).

So it appears that the FCC thinks that RTTY is a digital mode. When sent
over the air via FSK it has a digital mode emission designator of F1B
(Frequency modulation, digital, machine reception). Note the word "digital"
there. The ARRL thinks RTTY is a digital mode too. I know they don't carry
the weight of the FCC, but it just shows that you've got a lot of people out
there to straighten out :-)

73,

Doug, K4DSP