[RTTY] [CQ-Contest] RTTY contest software

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Sat Oct 21 01:48:21 EDT 2006

I agree with Dave's comments below with one enhancement.  In the limited
amount of RTTY contesting I've done, running both MMTTY (Standard Profile)
and the Hal DXP-38, the outputs from the two decoders are identical most of
the time.  The exception is only 1-2% of the time when MMTTY is not copying
and I simultaneously have a clear copy on the DXP-38.  For example in the
2006 ARRL RTTY Round-Up, the only time I needed the Hal DXP-38 over MMTTY
was on the early morning 40 meter JA path from P4.  For some reason MMTTY
Standard Profile seldom got a clean copy at that time, but the DXP-38 was
good enough to complete the QSO in one pass in all cases.

If I could have only one decoder, it would be MMTTY.  But, it is easy enough
to run the DXP-38 simultaneously, so I do that "just in case".  I suspect
that running three MMTTY decoder windows (Standard, Flutter and Multi-Path
profiles) would be just as good, maybe better, than the Hal DXP-38 ... if I
could just figure out how to keep all three windows running reliably.  In
2005, multiple MMTTY windows worked great for me, but not this year for some
reason.

73,
Ed - W0YK