[RTTY] ic756proIII

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Mon Oct 23 20:44:30 EDT 2006

Hi Dean,

Don't get me wrong, the Inraded Mark V is a good radio.  Like you I spent a
ton of time and money on it.

Yes you are very correct on Icom's double peak filter, it is dynamite.  The
trick to making the Pro III perform even better is on Don's web site.  The
Pro III seems to benefit more by carefully adjusting the RF gain control
and/or Pro III's attenuator to find the sweet spot the DSP likes.  This is
usually right at the curve of the AGC.

While DXing on 160m CW, the Inraded Mark V was slightly better with no
adjustments than the Pro III.  However by carefully adjusting the RF gain on
the Icom I could hear the weak DX signals pop from the noise as good as the
Mark V.  I spend a lot of time on 160m when I am not on some digital mode.
I have no special receive antennas here on a small city lot.  So very good
filtering is very important to me.

Since I was getting more and more interested in RTTY and less on phone,  I
opted for the Pro III in the end.  If I was chasing DX on phone only, I
probably would have stayed with the Mark V or maybe a Kenwood TS950sdx.

The bandscope is really worth it's weight in gold in a RTTY contest.  If you
spend some time with it, you can tell which signals are CW or RTTY like on a
busy 40m band.  It also helps to find a clear frequency to call CQ on.

You are so right in taking a year to get use to the Yaesu menu system.  The
Icom has the advantage of having a plain English menu instead of Alpha
Numeric system like on the Mark V.  Once you go through the manual on the
Pro III you can put it away.  I always kept my laminated cheat sheet nearby
on the Yaesu.

All this radio/contesting stuff is so intriguing!  What you need is to have
both rigs down there for awhile to see which one you like the best.  You
might keep one for RTTY only and the other for CW or phone?  I don't think
there is a prefect rig out there.  Some are better at certain things like
phone and others better at CW, RTTY, etc.  More of this depends on what
antenna system one has.  A large antenna farm like some contesters have may
bring a need for a certain type of rig that a small pea shooter like me
would not appreciate or need.

Then there is the psychological effect that I would never discount.  If you
believe and have confidence that a certain brand of rig is better, my belief
is you will do better on that rig.  Spec wise the TS-870 is not that good of
a rig, but look how well Don did with it in RTTY contests.  Give Don an
Inraded Mark V, he will still kick tail.  :-)

Always good to work you Dean!  If you are ever up in my woods please stop by
to take the Pro III for a test drive.

73 de jay..

P.S.  I am just glad to finally master F8 in the last contest!