[RTTY] Fwd: [digitalradio] RTTY Hall of Shame

Robert Chudek - KØRC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Sep 25 11:19:51 EDT 2006

Well I'm with you here Ty, I can't seem to get my call on many respectable lists either! And btw, how were those "Top Seventeen" stations selected anyway? And who determined the list should be truncated at 17 in the first place? Who came in last place? I don't think it was a level playing field anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I do admire the technical achievement and usefulness of the NCDXA international beacon system, but I consider it a secondary user on our bands. For those who want to know more about it, go here:  http://www.ncdxf.org/Beacon/intro.html

There are two parts to this situation; 1) cognizance by hams of the beacon system in the first place and, 2) avoiding the operation on the exact beacon frequencies (which, by the way, this automated system operates on numerous ham bands, not just 20 meters).

Regarding 1), there will always be insufficient "advertising" to the masses that this system even exists. There have been articles in QST but that doesn't mean everyone will read them. Last week during a General Operator Class, several 40+ year veterans were not even aware it existed, even though they are active contesters. And so you'll get the dozens of operators that honestly don't know and will start a good run on 14.100. And if it's a rare DX station, well all bets are off!

Regarding 2), during a contest there's thousands of stations operating which serve as a real-time purpose of "determining propagation" from all over the world. If you want to know if there's propagation from South Africa during a contest weekend, tune the band. As I said, a beacon is a secondary user of a frequency in my books.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 7