[RTTY] UA9s in zone 16/17?

ws7i ws7i at ewarg.org
Mon Sep 25 12:50:52 EDT 2006

Yes, we have all been subject to that in the recent past. Getting dinged for copying what was sent.  Which is one of the reason's that different contest sponsers do things differently.

One should perhaps ask the contest chairman or the log checker the methods being used.

The, how should I put this, Cabrillo Tools unique checking, and zone checking was totally flawed, but has I believe been replaced in CQ WW and WPX now.

The ARRL has its own method and system.  I know that BARTG has its own system and the contest managers will explain it in some detail when asked.

I have always put in what was sent, but frankly the Russians have always been very difficult with zones and as a former CQ WAZ award checker the amount of documentation and stuff was amazing and indeed many Russian's aren't where they think they are, but in a contest its supposed to be copying what was sent and the actual location should be meaningless, but in CQWW as zones are mult's it makes things very complicated. As its not just copying what is sent.

Automated log checking which is fairly wonderful also makes things in many contests very difficult for the contest sponser/log checker.  Its hard to balance and I recall a CQWW when I ran single band 10 and good old Eddie zapped me for many many uniques in Japan.  Hardly my fault that Japan is only on 10 meters a long long time for Washington and that I was the only US station there running them.

Same thing has always been true as well for the rare DX country we had many unique's in the old days from HC8 and probably they still do.  As from there with a flux of 70 and a K of 5 you can still work the world on 10  and HC8 is usually a double mult now that there is a scarcity of HC's on the bands.