[RTTY] Are digital modes a DXexpedition afterthought?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Sep 30 22:03:53 EDT 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 1:54 PM, <montemerlo at verizon.net>
<montemerlo at verizon.net> wrote:

> What I do get very upset with, are multi-week DXexpeditions, which
> state on their web sites that they will be running PSK31 & RTTY
> modes, update those websites on a regular basis, and then remove
> the Digital notice the day they pack up to leave while only trying
> a couple of PSK31 contacts the last day.

Sorry to reply to such an ancient thread, but....

Sometimes Dxpeditions do things based on limitations or restrictions
that aren't evident to outsiders. A couple of likely problems come to
mind. First, there may be equipment failures that prevent them from
running digital modes, or at least force them to choose between
digital and CW or SSB. Another scenario may be that due to RFI
problems, they can't run digital and CW or SSB on the same band at
the same time.

Given that choice, it is natural to see these expeditions favor the
more popular modes. Perhaps if the CW pileups would slack off, you'd
see more digital operation. Same for SSB.

The last factor may have to do with the nature of RTTY or PSK31.
Because of the capture effect, pileups on RTTY can be completely
unintelligible, particularly for a large number of simultaneous
signals. Perhaps they tried some RTTY and found that the rate was
really low, so they went back to CW (or SSB).

The whole idea of a DXpedition is to try and give the most exposure
possible to the most hams. It may be difficult to do that with
digital modes. If the participants decide they can reach more people
with other modes, who can blame them?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901