[RTTY] just to remind people

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Wed Apr 11 22:23:00 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:30:58 -0500, "FireBrick" <w9ol at billnjudy.com>
 wrote:

>Especially in the big pileups where he has to hunt for a callsign, the
>interval can vary greatly.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I'm sure that's the biggest single cause of calling out of turn.
Whatever the DX can do to maintain a consistent interval will help.

The best pileups are where the calling stations give their call once
and the DX works them immediately, says QRZ? and works another
immediately. That way the calling stations learn real quick to send
their call only once. It's pure pleasure to listen to an operation
like that.

I think what I would do, were I the DX, is to retune my RX up or down
while sending my TU QRZ? message. I would try to not ever work two
stations in a row on the same frequency. Tuning the RX off during the
QRZ? message allows me to grab the next station quickly and move on.

Maybe some day I'll get to test my theory on a real DXPedition. Heard
Island, anyone? Yum.

Bill W6WRT